,Malaysia, Nicaragua,adultery

Monday, October 04, 2004

 

The Terri Schiavo case and thoughts about life---and death

I wrote in my first post (September 24th) about the Terri Schiavo case and the decision by the Florida Supreme Court to permit withdrawal of her life support system.

Schiavo has been in a "persistent vegetative state" after suffering brain damage 14 years ago. Her doctors recommended withdrawl of life support system and her husband, Michael Schiavo, agreed. Her parents went to court to prevent her husband to act, and Governor Jeb Bush of Florida pushed through legislation (Terri's Law or, perhaps more appropriately, Bush's Law) in support of Schiavo's parents.

In an unanimous decision, on September 29th the Florida Supreme Court ruled Terri's Law invalid. Today Governor Jeb Bush filed a motion for rehearing of the case.

Governor Bush certainly has the right to his opinion,but his overzealous intervention in what is essentially a private matter makes one wonder if this, too, is part of election year politics----that his action is intended to garner support from the "religious right". The Bush Administration's view on this issue has been clearly demonstrated by the efforts to nullify Oregon's Death with Dignity Act which became law in 1997 after Oregonians voted in favor of the legislation by a margin of 60:40, an overwhelming majority. Attorney General Ashcroft failed in his first attempt but he is not done yet. This issue is bound to resurface if George Bush is re-elected.

With all the strife and turmoils in different parts of the universe, I am glad to be here. I savour what I find in my daily life. Small things---the blooming of flowers in my pocket-size garden, good books, wine, simple but flavorful food, music, movies, running and hiking on trails, the company of my family and friends---give me pleasure.

However, if and when I find myself in a state Terri Schiavo is in I would not wish to live for even one minute hooked up to tubes. I have executed a living will and my children are aware of my position. I do not want a doddering old man in Rome or Jeb Bush and John Ashcroft to have any control whatsoever over the end of my life.

*****************

"And should anyone ask you "Who are you?",you reply "Who---I? I am nobody", as Ulysses once muttered to Polyphemus".
----Joseph Brodsky

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogroll Me!