,Malaysia, Nicaragua,adultery

Saturday, February 19, 2005

 

"Got My Mojo Working" (Muddy Waters, 1915-1983)

The Blues and a few who gave it meaning

B.B. King
Leadbelly
John Lee Hooker
Muddy Waters
"Son" House


I am not a blues man in a strict sense. Spend more time listening to the music of Bach and cool sounds made by jazz greats like Thelonius Monk, Art Tatum, Bill Evans. Duke Ellington, Sidney Bechet, Charlie Parker, Coleman Hawkins, Gerry Mulligan and Ben Webster. But there are times when the blues feel just right and I dig into my small collection of CDs by legends of the blues. Even have a classic vinyl LP, "Memphis Harmonica Kings 1929-30, the complete recordings of Noah Lewis and Jed Davenport. I can close my eyes and see black men singing their hearts out, the cotton fields of Mississippi, the road gangs, and tar paper shacks. They made great music, and the conditions under which they made them! Awesome.

Chicago blues are faster, louder and often include more than banjo. Banjo was the right instrument for the Delta blues singers and their haunting songs.

There are others who came later. I like Junior Wells, Charlie Musselwhite and Buddy Guy--different but good. Soundtrack of the The Blues Brothers is a great CD to have.

I am listening to Rainy Highway, Charlie Musselwhite in "Rough News" (Virgin Records). The weather is wet here in the San Francisco Bay area.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogroll Me!