,Malaysia, Nicaragua,adultery

Saturday, June 25, 2005

 

A Gem in The Edmond Sun - Leaman Harris on Religious Intolerance

Gaining ground or losing it?

There are days when I come across unexpected treasures in the world wide web. Had never heard of "The Edmond Sun". A small city chartered in 1925, Edmond,Oklahoma, has a population in the low 30,000, predominantly white. Daily circulation of The Edmond Sun is below 11,000.

Under the byline of Leaman Harris, on June 21st The Edmond Sun published a column on religious intolerance that is worthy of national newspapers. Mr. Leaman is serving a one-year assignment that is "nearing its end".

I quote from the article:
A naturalized citizen, I love America---the beauty of the land and the diversity of the people. America of Thomas Jefferson and Walt Whitman; the America where a Christian book store, Vietnamese restaurant and Indian grocery store thrive in the same shopping center; the America where students of different colors and ethnic origins happily chatter on their way to school. I find recent developments in political and social arenas distasteful and bothersome. Bigotry has raised its ugly head. The country is being hijacked from those of us who are not part of the "religious right" and did not vote for G.W. Bush. The bigots here remind me of the Taleban mullahs in Afghanistan and the jackbooted thugs of Nazi Germany.

Reading Mr. Leaman's column gave me hope. Mr. Leaman did his home work and produced a column full of facts and figures on this important topic. Very timely. Perhaps all is not lost.

I wish him well.
*******

"I say to mankind, Be not curious about God. For I, who am curious about each, am not curious about God - I hear and behold God in every object, yet understand God not in the least."
---Walt Whitman (1819-1892)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogroll Me!