Wednesday, August 03, 2005
Texas - "Onward Christian Soldiers"
" HOUSTON, July 31 - When the school board in Odessa, the West Texas oil town, voted unanimously in April to add an elective Bible study course to the 2006 high school curriculum, some parents dropped to their knees in prayerful thanks that God would be returned to the classroom, while others assailed it as an effort to instill religious training in the public schools.
Hundreds of miles away, leaders of the National Council on Bible Curriculum in Public Schools notched another victory. A religious advocacy group based in Greensboro, N.C., the council has been pressing a 12-year campaign to get school boards across the country to accept its Bible curriculum." (NY Times Aug.1, 2005).
Facts about the State of Texas (rank in the nation):
- Teenage pregnancy rate: Texas ranks 5th nationally (Nevada has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the nation and ranks 1st). Of the 80,050 teen pregnancies each year in Texas, 68% result in live births and 17% result in abortions.
How Often Does a Teenager in Texas Get Pregnant?
- Every 10 hours, a 14-year-old teen gets pregnant.
- Every 3 hours, a 15-year-old teen gets pregnant.
- Every 1.5 hours, a 16-year-old teen gets pregnant.
- Every 52 minutes, a 17-year-old-teen gets pregnant.
- Every 35 minutes, an 18-year-old teen gets pregnant.
- Every 28 minutes, a 19-year-old teen gets pregnant.
- Every 10 minutes a teen gives birth.
- Every 48 minutes a teen has an abortion.
- Between January and July 2005, ten death sentences have been carried out in Texas, the highest in the nation.
- High School graduation rate: 50th
- SAT scores: 48th
- State aid per pupil: 39th
- Spending on child protection: 48th
- Amount of monthly women, infant and children (WIC) benefits paid: 49th
Thanks for the information.