,Malaysia, Nicaragua,adultery

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

 

Blogging as Therapy - If it works, why not ?

*
Yuki Noguchi's article, "Blogs as Cyber-Catharsis" in the Post made me think of the people I know who have been using blogs to reveal their innermost thoughts and experiences. I, of course, do not have the data collected by Ms Noguchi. She has been writing about the blogosphere and related subjects for some time. Based on my personal experience of being a somewhat discriminating reader of blogs I am inclined to be on the side of those "who consider it a form of therapy" . Ms. Noguchi wrote that ".....although some psychologists question the use of the Internet for therapy, many now use it to chronicle intensely personal experiences, venting confessions in front of millions of strangers who can write back."

Psychologists, even with good intentions, cannot be fair and impartial on this issue. While there is the risk of attracting weirdos--they are out there--one can easily prevent comments from readers in the blogs. The downside of that is it would block not only slimy people but those whose comments might actually have a positive effect....for both.

While I myself have not posted intensely personal details in my blog, I admire those who do. It takes courage and confidence. If they find release and satisfaction from posting their thoughts, may the force be with them.
*****

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogroll Me!